Wednesday, December 4, 2013

San Pedro La Laguna

It has been almost three years since I have posted anything on my blog. It's not that I haven't been having adventures, but ...who knows where the time goes?

I'm in the pueblo of San Pedro La Laguna on Lago Atitlan, Guatemala. I am renting the same apartment as I had in March-April earlier this year. One of the things I like about having my own apartment is that I can do my own cooking. The variety of fruits and vegetables available at the market is incredible. The price is also incredible. Here is a photo of today's shopping:
This lovely selection of veg and fruit cost 20 quetzales, or US$2.50. It includes a pound of strawberries, two large limes, a cucumber, a pound of carrots, three jalapeno peppers, a vidalia onion, a zucchini, a head of lettuce, a red pepper, two avocados, a bunch of radishes, a handful of snowpeas, and a hunk of ginger.

It is enough veg to make about four salads and two stir fries, as well as having a few bowls of strawberries as a treat. I bought yoghurt yesterday, about $1.50 for a litre of natural yoghurt. Dairy products are relatively expensive, as you can see. 

Almost every kind of food is available here, either at the market, or at the shops. There is also a wonderful Italian bakery, and many good restaurants. 

That's all for now. 


1 comment: