Monday, December 19, 2022

Dia del Diablo December 7




Dia del Diablo is celebrated every year at this time. In Antigua, a statue of the devil is on display during the week before. Somewhat the statue depicts an actual devil in our midst, such as Osama bin Laden in 2001 (my first time there), or Trump a few years ago. 

On December 7, a huge crowd gathers to watch the burning of the devil. First they drape him with hundreds of firecrackers, so the fire is full of explosions. Very scary, especially since the spectacle takes place in front of the only gas station at the edge of Antigua. 

I didn't attend the burning this year. Too scared last time. The tightly packed crowd is almost enough to put me in a panic, and when I think about what would happen if there was an accident...well. I don't want to imagine. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment